Let’s face it – English is a crazy language.
In what other language do people drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?
Why does night fall but never break and day break but never fall?
Why is it that when we transport something by car, it’s called a shipment, but when we transport something by ship, it’s called cargo?
Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bikes called cyclists?
In what other language do they call the third hand on the clock the second hand?
Why is it called a TV set when you get only one?
Why – in our crazy language – can your nose run and your feet smell?
If olive oil is made of olives, what do they make baby oil from?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian consume?
A writer is someone who writes, and a stinger is something that stings. But fingers don’t fing and grocers don’t groce.
If the plural of tooth is teeth, shouldn’t the plural of booth be beeth?
If the teacher taught, why isn’t it also true that the preacher praught?
If harmless actions are the opposite of harmful actions, why are shameless and shameful behavior the same?
English is a language in which you can turn a light on and you can turn a light off and you can turn a light out, but you can’t turn a light in;
In which the sun comes up and goes down, but prices go up and come down.
In which your nose can simultaneously burn up and burn down and your car can slow up and slow down, in which you can fill in a form by filling out a form and in which your alarm clock goes off by going on.
English is a crazy language. What is it that when the sun or the moon or the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible? And why when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I shall end it?
November 2011 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Innovation – Chaos and Order
- How to be employable
- The identity crisis stemming from technology progress and AI
- Erlang’s Queuing theory applied to Capacity planning for a Development House
- Enlightenment Now, Steven Pinker’s Magnum Opus- a review
- Is Human Intelligence somehow special?
- Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning
- Optimal for “me” may not be Optimal for “us”
- There is a spring in my step
- Book Review- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- 2015 in review
- Challenges to learning new things
- The search for Meaning – A look at motivation and what drives it
- What is Design
- Writer-Responsible and Reader-Responsible Languages
- Gaussian Curvature
- Internet Search vs. the Truth
- Why we believe in Gods
- Nehru on Religion
- Nehru on Time (Past, Present and Future)
- What ails our education system (Esp. scientific and technical)?
- Men verses Animals
- CircuitLab- A fab tool
- Fast Fourier transform- an Update
- Fast Fourier transform- non-integer number of cycles in the FFT aperture
- Hands on with Statistics
- English Language
- A Rolling Stone gathers no Moss (A possible correlation between climate and language?)
- Laws of Electricity for the Layperson
- Logical Fallacies-Classification & Formal Fallcies
- Logical Fallacies- An Introduction
- A Discourse on Charity
- An invaluable Resource
- Managing Expectations:
- A great essay by Albert Einstein -The world as I see it
- Knowledge or Information
- The passenger in a car
- The motivation for and the origin of this Blog
- Hey I started a Blog